Here Bradley David, Senior Property Consultant at Chambers Estate Agents, takes Style of the city through the 6 check points to follow before buying a house:
- Establish a Budget. You’ve saved long and hard for a deposit and now you have your lump sum and you’re looking to buy. You will need to speak to your bank, or an independent financial advisor, who will be able to establish your affordability and issue you with a decision in principle. This will give you a guide to the maximum you can afford to spend on a property given your circumstances.
- Criteria. Right at the start, it’s a good idea to make a list of the features you are looking for. How many bedrooms do you need? What transport links do you need to get to work? Is access to outside space a priority?
- Viewings. Register your details with the local agents, download the property search apps and start noting For Sale boards on properties in areas that you want to live. Make a shortlist of properties that you would like to view and contact the relevant agents to arrange a mutually convenient day and time to view.
- Making an Offer. You’ve found your perfect home and you want to make an offer. This should be in writing to the agent summarising the offer that you’d like to make along with your current position and so forth. It’s at this point that proof of funds and ID would be required, so have that decision in principle handy.
- Survey. It’s always advisable to instruct an RICS (Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors) accredited Surveyor to inspect the property on your behalf. It’s peace of mind for relatively little outlay and the Surveyor will be able to recommend what type of survey to undertake taking in to consideration the type/style/age of the property.
- Conveyancing Process. Your offer has been accepted and you’ve now appointed a Solicitor to act on your behalf during the conveyancing process. They will guide you through to exchange of contracts and completion, which is when you will become the legal owner of your new home!
Bradley David, Senior Property Consultant