Voco St David’s, Cardiff, joins the fight against single use plastic by implementing four big sustainable commitments. The hotels’ four commitments will build upon an existing foundation of sustainable initiatives to deepen the company’s impact and to inspire positive environmental change across its hotel within the community.
The four big commitments are:
- The filling of the indulgent bedding is made from 100% recycled materials. There are an estimated 150 plastic bottles recycled per guest room through the bedding alone. By using BCI linen, voco™ is also contributing to sustainable cotton harvesting
- A significant reduction in plastic waste
– Glass water bottles means the hotel is able to remove an average of 300+ plastic bottles in every guest room per year.
– Plastic straws have been replaced by biodegradable straws, which are available upon request only.
– The miniature bottles have been removed along with hard to recycle amenities in the bathrooms.
– Indulgent large-format Aveda bottles are placed in the bathroom, which produces 80% less waste than miniatures.
- Aerated shower heads, reducing water usage and ensures lower energy consumption for water heating
- The Marine Spa has recently transitioned into a Barefoot Spa, providing both environmental and health benefits
Russell Durnell, General Manager, voco St David’s Cardiff commented: “As a voco hotel we’re committed to creating a positive social and environmental impact in the community. We’re doing our part to significantly reduce waste without compromising our guests’ experience. There is always more we can do to minimise waste, but the work we’re doing to reduce single-use plastic alone is a powerful example of how we can come together with guests, owners and colleagues to drive positive change.”
The 142-room hotel sits on Cardiff Bay, with floor-to-ceiling windows offering guests stunning views of the waterfront, including the murmuration of starlings over the water at dusk. With private balconies and a coastal setting, the hotel provides guests with a tranquil place to stay, close to the city-centre of the Welsh capital. The award-winning Marine Spa offers local residents and hotel guests the perfect spot to unwind, with comforting treatments sure to make guests come away feeling thoroughly pampered. With eight different meeting spaces, the hotel’s experienced team can cater to a variety of events – from weddings of up to 220 guests to corporate meetings for up to 400 people.
The hotel, which was previously Principal St David’s Cardiff, has benefitted from the voco brand’s bold and distinctive design, with deep colours adding depth and warmth to public spaces and a touch of the brand’s charming character to guest rooms. Voco, inspired by the meaning ‘to invite’ or to ‘come together’ in Latin, combines the informality and charm of an individual hotel, with the quality and reassurance of a global and respected brand.
Voco is focussed on conversion opportunities and strengthens IHG’s offer in the $40 billion upscale segment, which is expected to grow by a further $20 billion by 2025. The new brand will drive significant incremental growth for IHG, with an expectation to open more than 200 voco hotels in attractive urban and leisure locations over the next 10 years.
To learn more about voco, visit: stdavids.vocohotels.com